Business Insider has compiled a list of some interesting facts about Russia that are sure to delight fellow russophiles.
Some of my personal favorites:
- Russian doesn’t need a subject and a verb to complete a sentence. Therefore “Dog.” or “Was walking.” are both complete sentences
- Russians use the same word to say “get healthier” and “get fatter.”
- One super-popular Russian meal — called “holodets” — contains meat suspended in salted gelatin.
- Russians don’t put eyes on smileys when typing. They are ) or ))))) but never : ) The more parentheses you add, the more you like something.
- Legend has it that Russians chose Christianity over Islam back in 988 AD in part because they didn’t want to give up alcohol.
- There are no Russian words for “fun” or “privacy”.
- Under the Soviet Union, the distribution of Beatles albums was forbidden by the government, so some medical students would burn Beatles songs onto old X-rays.